Wednesday, May 9, 2012

...And We Carry On...in Carrion de Los Condes

This is the ancient city of Castille, in the province of Palencia, dwelled in by mostly Jews who surrendered to King Alphonso VI in 1126.  It is also the birthplace of the first recognized Spanish-Jewish poet, Don Santob de Carrion. 
           
            This town is home to various sights that are important for the traveling pilgrim.  Among these are the Church of Santa Maria (12th cen.), Santiago (13th cen.), the monateries of Santa Clara and San Zoilo (12-16th cen), Romanesque tombs and the churches of Belen, San Andres, and San Julian, all similarly dated.  Also noteworthy is the ancient Roman City gate which still stands today.

We ended up in Carrion de Los Condes during Siesta, so we were not able to see several churches from the inside.  We sure made it around town though!  I was impressed by the simplicity of it, not to mention how well they have preserved their historical sites.
As with any Roman-era remains, I am definitely taken by the wall that used to surround the city.  To think that the Visigoths were where I stood completely fascinates me (what can I say!)

I was most affected by the moastery of San Zoilo, though.  This place, as you can see by some of the pictures I have posted, really stood the test of time.  After much traveling and weariness, I found it to have a much neede affect on my nerves.  The peace and solitude that I felt was deeply appreciated, and much needed.  

                                      An emblem on the ceiling of the Royal Monastery of Saint Zoilo
                        Outside - aren't the arches awesome?  Wish we had more architecture like this back home.
                                                        The ceiling artwork here is fabulous.
                                                                Outside the monastery
                                                        Outdoor archway of the monastery
                              The center, or "garden" of the cloister (representative of the garden of Eden)
                                          A picture I took from the side of the cloister looking outward
                             If I posted all the pics I took of the artwork in this place, this blog would never end!
                                                Isn't this a neat door? (also part of the monastery)
                                              I thought you might like to see the clouds in Carrion!
                               Emily K. ("Kemily") taking a moment to journal while we peruse the cloister
                                                Crossing the river on the way to the Roman wall.
Sorry this is sideways; I tried my best!  A lovely shell I found on the side of one of the buildings in Carrion.
And, we Carrion..!

No comments:

Post a Comment